Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 33

During my meditation this evening I got repeatedly distracted by re-playing something in my mind. Earlier in the evening I was texting with my friend about how meditation was supposed to train your mind in being more present, less lost in thought. And now, here I was, lost in thought about this text about not getting lost in thought.

This same friend recently bought me a jasmine plant. It has been blooming in December. Whenever a new bloom opens, there is an intense burst of sweet scent that fills the room. A new bloom opened in the middle of my sit. It was sensory and experiential and immediate.

I got carried away from the present moment with my own clever theorizing about meditation, and carried back by a simple, elegant, living gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment