Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 40

Still at it. Despite my intention last week to return to a consistent 20 minute sit per day routine, I again missed two daily sits and made up for it with a 60 minute sit on Saturday.

When somebody first told me about meditation, one of my first rections was "What's wrong with getting lost in thought? That's where my song ideas and show ideas and work ideas all come from. Are you asking me to give that up? That sounds a lot like giving up my creative process."

It's not that traveling down the byways of your mind in search of inspiration, nostalgia, or a grocery list is wrong. Meditation is about making it a voluntary process, rather than an involuntary process. Maybe like toilet training your mind?

Tonight's sit was interesting. Very distracted, but in a lovely way. If you get caught up in a thought with a lot of emotion attached to it, the instruction is to keep the emotion and drop the story. Usually that's applied to stories that stir up anger, fear, resentment etc. Happy tonight to drop the thought but keep the feeling of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment