Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 9

I missed posting yesterday, but not sitting. The last two sits have been similar in that my mental discursiveness has been fairly consistent. I do not seem to be gaining much discipline in terms of being able to focus on my breathing for progressively longer periods.

I do, however find I notice more quickly in my day-to-day life when I have become lost in thought when my attention should be present: conversing with a boring person, trying to find an elusive song lyric, riding a bicycle in heavy traffic etc. This has immediate tangible benefits.

And finally, I find I am less attached to the idea of progress when it comes to the meditation practice. It has been documented over and over that one's practice will fluctuate in terms of focus and discipline. To expect a linear progression is to add something extra to the sitting-with-what-is. Someone said of meditation that we are all always beginners. So the lesson is to keep coming back. Which will sound familiar to anyone who has done the other '90 in 90'.

No comments:

Post a Comment